Learn how to visualise music and perform live
December 12th, 10 AM - 5.30 PM
In this workshop – held in English - media artist Stefan Kraus will introduce participants to the powerful visual development platform and present best practices for its use in live audiovisual performances and shows. Take the next step after you been to one of our free introductions or have been playing with TouchDesigner all by yourself.
The course will introduce artists, performers, designers, musicians and programmers to the mutilmedia authoring environment TouchDesigner. TD is a node based visual programming language, that was specifically designed to enable artists to create interactive programs without having to write code. This allows users to experiment with cutting edge technology, prototype interaction and explore the possibilities of digital creation.
The course consist of hands-on exercises, enabling participants to create their own performances and provides a bunch of prebuilt networks for further exploration at home.
In this workshop you will learn:
- How to create interactive (3D) animations (Lighting, Shadows, PBR Materials)
- How to use live or recorded audio to generate & control animations (Analysis, Conversion, Mapping)
- How to generate or visualise data with instancing, curves and particles
- How to perform your AV creations through MIDI, OSC, DMX and Artnet
- How to use sensors like the Kinect or Leap Motion to track user interaction
- How to output your creations to (several) screens, projectors, speakers, lights, LEDs and files
- How to build custom graphical user interfaces on the fly (Panels, Custom Parameters and Presets)
- How to build an optimized architecture to support all of this!
Skill Level : Informed Beginners
Ideally you have already visited one of our free introductions.
If not, please take the time to watch this introduction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmM1lCWtn6o&t=9s
This class embraces participants of all genders, sexes and orientations who have little experience with (visual) programming and want to learn more about it.
We think creative coding should be fun for everyone!
Laptop with a 3-button mouse
The latest release of TouchDesigner099 installed: https://derivative.ca/download
Participants are welcome to bring their own MIDI devices
Instructor : Dipl.-Ing. Stefan Kraus / MXZEHN
The work of Berlin-based VJ artist and director Stefan Kraus explores the fusion of media, space and performance. Emerging out of East Germany’s vivid electronic music scene, his work soon moved beyond the experimental club environment and into the world of art exhibitions, media festivals and theater performances across Europe. Parallel to his artistic career Stefan has been teaching interaction design at the Bauhaus-University in Weimar where he co-founded the Genius Loci Weimar festival, an annual competition for architectural projection mapping.
Today Stefan is more than ever driven by the idea of the “Gesamtkunstwerk” – an artistic vision that completely immerses the audience.
Sorry, we are sold out, please come back for the next workshop!
Where does the event happen?
The Node Institute
When does the event happen?
Add to Calendar